I have a complaint!
Posted on June 22, 2020 1:19 PM by Melissa Gentry
Categories: Homeowner Articles
Techniques To Use That Get Results When You Have A Complaint or Question
Our Board of Directors and management company welcome constructive complaints because they help them do a better job. Results-oriented complaints usually can be settled in the initial stage and the result will be fewer complaints in the future. Your board and management are responsible for enforcing the association documents uniformly and fairly. Here are some techniques to follow to ensure results:
- Keep the tone polite and professional. Try not to get angry or emotional.
- Do NOT use profanity.
- Avoid using threats. Threats diminish productive communication. If you push others they may respond emotionally and the issue will be lost in the process.
- State what you want done.
- Listen and ask questions.
- You may want to negotiate. Be ready to suggest alternative solutions.
- Understand the board or management may not be able to accommodate your request for legal reasons.
- Don't expect exceptions to rules.
- If there is an agreement, confirm it. Make a written note to yourself. If the problem is complex or money is involved, confirm the agreement by letter.
- If you cannot agree on a solution stay calm. Do some more research. But remain calm.
We are here to help!