Holiday Lighting Safety Tips
Posted on December 10, 2020 10:27 AM by Melissa Gentry
Categories: Homeowner Articles
- Check your light sets for cracked insulation, frayed wires or damaged sockets. Any of these could cause short circuits.
- Don't overload your string sets. Check the instructions on the package to find out how many light sets can be connected to each other.
- Avoid overloading circuits. Most home circuits can take 15 amps, or 1,800 watts.
- Cover each outdoor plug and connector joint with plastic wrap to protect it from rain; seal it with electrical tape.
- If you use staples instead of tape to secure lights, be sure that they're insulated staples.
- Make sure decorations pose no danger to children or pets. Don't leave cords dangling or strung loosely on the floor or stairs.